July 11, 2006

lest one forget after the storm


American Routes--"After the Storm" http://www.amroutes.com/
"Minor Tipitina" Allen Toussaint American Routes recording---

"Louisiana 1927"
Randy Newman 2:54 Randy Newman Songbook, Vol. 1 (Nonesuch)
"Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen" Mahalia Jackson 3:48 Essential Mahalia Jackson (Sony)---

"Down by the Riverside" Snooks Eaglin 2:39 Country Boy in New Orleans (Arhoolie)
“When the Levee Breaks”—Memphis Minnie 3:10 Memphis Minnie: Queen of the Blues (Columbia) ---

"It's Raining" Irma Thomas 2:08 Sweet Soul Queen of New Orleans: The Irma Thomas Collection (Razor & Tie)
"Rainin' in My Heart" Slim Harpo 2:34 Raining in My Heart (Excello)---zipper:
“Mes Enfants/My Children” Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys Happytown (Rounder)---SEGMENT: Dave Spizale, KRVS gen. manager, interview ---
"River's Gonna Go" Gator Beat 3:02 River's Gonna Go (Globe)

"Higher Ground" Stevie Wonder 3:07 Innervisions (Motown)---

"To the River" Smiley Lewis 2:15 Shame, Shame, Shame (Bear Family)

"Rivers of Babylon" Melodians 4:16 The Harder They Come (Island)---zipper:

“Dear Old Southland” Dr. John N’Awlinz Dis Dat or D’udda (Blue Note)---

“The Lost Souls (Of Southern Louisiana)” Dirty Dozen Brass Band 14:24Open Up: Whatcha Gonna Do For the Rest of Your Life (Columbia) ---

"Minor Tipitina" Allen Toussaint American Routes recording

“Blue Horizon” Sidney Bechet 4:25 Blue Horizon: The Sidney Bechet Story (Proper) ---

“Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans?" Louis Armstrong & His Dixieland Seven 2:58 Doctors, Professors, Kings & Queens: The Big Ol’ Box of New Orleans (Shout Factory)---

“Back Water Blues” Bessie Smith 3:18 The Complete Recordings, Vol. 3 (Columbia/Legacy)

“Stormy Weather” Phil Phillips 2:34 Eddie’s House of Hits: The Story of Goldband Records (Ace)"Louisiana" Percy Mayfield 2:04 Creole Kings of New Orleans (Specialty) ---zipper:

“L’Ouragon" Beausoleil La Danse de la Vie (Rhino)---

“L’annee de cinquante sept” Alex Broussard 2:41The Best of La Louisiane Records (La Louisiane)

“Grand Chenier” Bluerunners 2:49 Le Grand Bleu (Louisiana Red Hot Records)

“Hurricane” Bobby and the Rockers 3:25 Can’t Stop Rockin’ (Bobby and the Rockers)---

"The Lakes of the Ponchartrain" Jim Smoak & the Louisiana Honeydrippers 2:26Bayou Bluegrass (Arhoolie)“Box of Rain” Grateful Dead 5:16 American Beauty (Warner Brothers)zipper:

“Blues in My Sleep” James Cotton Deep in the Blues (Verve) ---

“Hurricanes Carla & Esther” Lightnin’ Hopkins 5:06 Po’ Lightnin’ (Arhoolie)

"Born on the Bayou" Creedence Clearwater Revival 5:00 Bayou Country (Fantasy)---

“Death Letter” Cassandra Wilson 4:12 New Moon Daughter (Blue Note)

“When the Saints Go Marching In” Helen Humes 4:05 2005 Southern Music CD (Oxford American)---

“Walking to New Orleans” Fats Domino 1:58 The Best of Fats Domino (EMI)

"Louisiana 1927" Randy Newman 3:02 Good Old Boys (Warner Bros.)---

"Down by the Riverside" Sam Morgan’s Jazz BandOscar

“Papa” Celestin and Sam Morgan Recorded in New Orleans, 1925-1928 (Jazz Oracle)
http://www.amroutes.com/

Fats Domino Lyrics - Walking To New Orleans Lyrics
Walkin' to New OrleansFats Domino United Artists XW 007 "The Silver Spotlight Series"(Domino/Bartholomew/Guidry) Travis Music Co. BMI

It's time I'm walkin' to New Orleans
I'm walkin' to New Orleans
I'm going to need two pair of shoes
When I get through walkin' to you
When I get back to New Orleans
I've got my suitcase in my hand
Now, ain't that a shame
I'm leavin' here today
Yes, I'm goin' back home to stay
Yes, I'm walkin' to New Orleans
You used to be my honey
Till you spent all my money
No use for you to cry
I'll see you bye and bye
Cause I'm walkin' to New Orleans
I've got no time for talkin'
I've got to keep on walkin'
New Orleans is my home
That's the reason why I'm goin'
Yes, I'm walkin' to New Orleans
FADE:I'm walkin' to New Orleans
I'm walkin' to New Orleans
I'm walkin' to New Orleans
Transcribed by Little John
These lyrics were transcribed from the specific recording referenced above, and are for personal use and research interest only. http://www.lyricsdownload.com/fats-domino-walking-to-new-orleans-lyrics.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

touching words... its amazing how easy its to forget what happened aftr the storm huh. its really sad.

thanks for dropping a line diana! and for blogging about New Orleans :) such things mean so much to the ppl down there.