August 04, 2006

tarp in the woods

I'm pretty sure I saw a kingbird in a tree hanging over the Connecticut River near Amherst. There was a young redtail hanging around complaining the whole time we were in Amherst. They had a family of skunks in the front yard which looked like it had been rototilled with their nightly visits; and we scared up a beaver in the pool behind the neighbor's house(this is right in town). I also found a homeless person's camp--nice & tidy--a few yards from the pond--unfortunately I scared the living daylights out of the person who I never saw but heard crashing thru the underbrush as I came thrashing in over the nieghbor's compost pile & thru some briars--(I was trying to find a way into the woods to botanize-)--poor person probably never expected someone to come in that way. Their tarp was smartly angled and securely lashed with a rainbow of cords, their plain square sleeping bag was spread neatly, their pack was secured & ready to go... It had been a very hot day....I felt bad at the fright I'd caused and wanted to call, It's okay, I don't care, I'm just hiking past...I won't reveal your secret home.....although it could have been anyone, Jack the Ripper-type or just a poor person..... I found swamp milkweed (see sketch)and a patch of blackberries that yielded about a half gallon of berries....I thought about that unseen person in the woods for days...
At the Oh So Organic campus where our friend teaches---they have this little pond that has whole battalions of all different kinds of dragonflies & damselflies--it was amazing--and lots of brilliant green frogs--he was trying to show us all these other bugs that bite--water scorpions & water boatmen & such. I got out the dragonfly guides--and wowsie!--they have the coolest names!

No comments: